THE CONSTITUTION OF THE NATIONWIDE ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF KNOWLEDGE (NAFAK)
We the entire members of the Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (NAFAK) having firmly and solemnly to pursue the advancement of our Association with fear of God, to disseminate knowledge, academic research and findings to and from academics, to promote their professional growth, to organize national and international conferences and workshops and to provide for a constitution for the smooth and orderly operation of our day-to-day activities in line with the democratic principles of freedom, equity and justice.
CHAPTER 1: SUPREMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION
- This constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on all authority and members of the Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (NAFAK)
- The Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (NAFAK) shall not be governed except in accordance to the provisions of this constitution.
- If any other law, bye-law, order or regulations made by any authority, persons or group of persons within (and in relation to) the Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (NAFAK) is inconsistent with the provisions of this constitution, this constitution shall prevail and that other law, bye-law, order or regulation shall to the extent of inconsistence be void.
CHAPTER 2: NAME
- The Association shall be called, known and addressed to as the Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (herein after in this constitution also referred to as the NAFAK), an Academic Professional Association.
- The National headquarters of the NAFAK shall situate at Onitsha in Onitsha-North Local Government Area, Anambra State of Nigeria
- The Motto shall be Academic Excellence
CHAPTER 3: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To disseminate knowledge, academic research and findings to and from academics.
- To organize national and international conferences in Nigeria and elsewhere in the world.
- To strive to find solutions to prevailing problems in education.
- To strive to enhance the professional growth of members.
- To identify with scholars in various disciplines for their enhancement
- To publish national journals and international journals.
- To publish book of readings
CHAPTER 4: COMMON SEAL
- The NAFAK shall have a common seal
- The NAFAK common seal shall be kept in the custody of the general secretary who shall produce it whenever required.
- All documents required to be signed or executed by the trustees shall be signed by the Chairman and Secretary or any other member of the trustees and sealed with the common seal of the NAFAK.
- The auditor shall be appointed by the annual general meeting to audit the financial records of the NAFAK annually and submit an audited report to the annual general meeting of the NAFAK.
CHAPTER 5: MEMBERSHIP
- Membership of this professional association is opened to all academics from the Universities, Polytechnic, Monotechnics, Colleges of Education and in fact tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
- The registration fee shall be a sum of two thousand naira (#2,000) subject to amendment by the general house during the annual general meeting by vote of simple majority of members present. Each member is expected to pay five hundred naira (#500) annual due.
CHAPTER 6: OBLIGATION OF MEMBERS
- All members are obliged to pay their dues, levies and to support the NAFAK
- All members are obliged to attend the annual national conferences and international conferences of the NAFAK
CHAPTER 7: OFFICES AND COMMITEES
- The NAFAK shall have thirteen (13) offices who as may be stated here under, shall be members of the executive committee of the NAFAK.
- Subject to aforesaid, the NAFAK shall have the office of;
- The National Chairman
- The National Vice Chairman
- The General Secretary
- The Assistant General Secretary
- The Business Manager
- The Business Editor
- The Six-Zonal Representatives
- The Publicity Secretary
- When constituted, the members of the executive committee shall hold office for a term of five (5) years PROVIDED always that one can be re-elected for another term of office AND PROVIDED also that after second term in the same office, an officer shall not be re-elected into the same office for third term but may be elected into another office and after that tenure, he may be elected into the former office.
CHAPTER 8: ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND APPOINTMENT OF EDITORS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- The general election of the officers of the NAFAK shall hold every five years during the annual general meeting
- The general election shall be conducted by a returning officer, assisted by a secretary to be appointed by the members of the NAFAK in a general meeting in which the election will be held.
- Election for various offices shall be by an open-secret ballot system and shall be won by vote of simple majority.
- Local organizing committee members – the Chairman and Secretary shall be appointed during annual general meeting for the next year’s conference.
- The annual general meeting shall appoint editors of various journals
CHAPTER 9: DUTIES OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE
- The National Chairman shall
- preside over all meetings
- preside over all conferences
- preside over all workshops
- be spokesman of the NAFAK
- be signatory to the account and other documents of the NAFAK
- perform any other functions deem expedient to the management of the NAFAK
- The National Vice Chairman shall assist the National Chairman in execution of all his duties and deputize for him when he is absent or indisposed.
- The General Secretary shall
- be the secretariat of the association
- be in charge of all recordings of all meetings
- determine where conferences shall be held
- be signatory to the account and all other documents
- The Assistant General Secretary shall assist the secretary in execution of all his duties and shall deputize for him when he is absent or indisposed.
- The Business Manager shall
- receive all monies of the association and issue receipts
- pay into the association account all monies collected within twenty four (24) hours
- dispatch all letters written by the secretariat
- be one of the signatories to the association’s account
- The Business Editor shall
- be responsible for publication of all journals and books
- The Six Zonal Representatives
Each zonal representative shall be responsible for organizing local meetings in their zones, sensitizing members for all the conferences to be held. Being the eye of the association in their zones
- The Publicity Secretary shall
- be responsible for publicizing all activities of the association
- also serve as Master of Ceremony (MC) in all conferences
CHAPTER 10: CONFERENCES/ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- The annual national conference shall be once every year
- The annual general meeting shall be the Thursday of the annual national conference and shall begin by 1.00pm.
- The quorum for the annual general meeting shall be one-third (1/3) of the members including the Chairman and any other executive.
- It is mandatory for every member to attend the conference of every year during which the annual general meeting will be held.
- The annual national conference shall rotate among the six (6) geographical zones
- The international conference of the NAFAK shall be once every year
- The international conference could be in Nigeria, in Africa or elsewhere in the world according to availability of resources
- The conference fee shall be determined by the annual general meeting from time to time.
- The vetting shall also be determined from time to time by the annual general meeting
- The procedure regulating the conferences and meetings of the NAFAK shall be in accordance with standing orders made by the executive committee and approved by members in a general meeting which is reproduced in schedule 1 of this constitution.
CHAPTER 11: REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
- If at any time, an officer of the association is found to be in breach of any section of the constitution either through actions on inactions relative to the dictates of his office, a motion for his removal shall be brought before the annual general meeting
- Such motions shall be seconded by another member if two-third (2/3) of members present voted in affirmation, the officer stands removed and another officer elected in accordance with the constitutional provisions
CHAPTER 12: AMENDMENTS AND INTERPRETATIONS OF CONSTITUTIONS
- Proposal for any amendment of constitution shall be referred to a Legal Adviser with the intended amendment on a two-third (2/3) majority votes of members present in a duly convened annual general meeting of the NAFAK
- Upon the receipt of the draft amendment from a legal adviser on any general meeting of the NAFAK, such sections of the constitutions shall stand amended accordingly.
- All cases of interpretation of this constitution shall be referred to a legal adviser.
CHAPTER 13: TRUSTEES
- All investments, copyright freehold, leasehold, heritable property, publications shall be vested in the Registered Trustees of the NAFAK herein after called the Trustees who shall hold such property as Trustees for the NAFAK
- The annual general meeting shall appoint three (3) members of the NAFAK to be incorporated as the Registered Trustees of the NAFAK in accordance with the Companies and Allied Matter Act 1990 Part C.
- The Trustees will hold office in a period of five (5) years after which they may be re appointed.
- Any trustee may hold office for ten (10) years subject to re appointment and shall cease to hold office if the general members so decide PROVIDED the voting is by two-third (2/3) majority of the members present
- The NAFAK shall be wound up or dissolved on a two-third (2/3) majority vote of members of the annual general meeting present in a duly convened meeting.
CHAPTER 14: SUPPLEMENTAL PROVISIONS
- This constitution shall be cited as the constitution of Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge
- The constitution was read in English Language and unanimously adopted in the annual general meeting of the NAFAK held on Thursday, the 15th day of March, 2018
- The NAFAK shall have the power to add, amend and delete or revise any of these regulations subject to the approval of at least two-third (2/3) majority of members of the NAFAK present and those changes shall be forwarded to the Registrar General of Corporate Affairs Commission (C.A.C.)
- The amendment or review of the constitution shall be affected by two-third (2/3) majority of the members at the annual general meeting
CHAPTER 15: SPECIAL CLAUSE
- The income and property of the Nationwide Association for the Advancement of Knowledge (NAFAK) whenever derived shall be applied solely towards promotion of the objective of the NAFAK set forth in the constitution and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise howsoever by way of profit to the members of NAFAK.
- PROVIDED that nothing herein shall prevent the payment in good fate of reasonably and proper remuneration to any officer or servant of the NAFAK or to any member of the NAFAK in return to any service rendered to the NAFAK but so that no member of the executive committee of the NAFAK shall be appointed to any salary office of the NAFAK or office of the NAFAK paid by fees, and that no remuneration or other benefit in money’s worth shall be given by the NAFAK to any member of such executive or governing body except as payment of out of pocket expenditure, honorarium or reasonable and proper rent for premises, demised or let to NAFAK provided that the provision last aforesaid shall not apply to any payment to any company in which a member of NAFAK shall be a member if member shall not be bound to account for any share of profits he may receive in respect of any such payment.
- NO ADDITION, alteration or amendment shall be made to or in the CONSTITUTION for the time been enforce, unless the same have been previously submitted and approved by the Registrar General
- IN the event of winding up or dissolution of the NAFAK, there remains, after the satisfaction of the debts and liabilities, any property whatsoever, the same shall not be paid to or distributed among the members of the NAFAK but shall be given or transferred to some other institution or institutions having aims and objectives of the NAFAK and the body or bodies are prohibited from distributing its or their income and property among its or their members to an extent at least as great as it is imposed on the NAFAK under or by virtue of the SPECIAL CLAUSE here of such institution or institutions to be determined by the members of the NAFAK effect cannot be given to the aforesaid provision then to charitable object.
Intending to provide for the conduct and procedure general meeting, conferences and other meeting of the NAFAK and matters relating thereto and shall be read together with the constitution of the NAFAK
- These standing orders are made by the Executive Committee of the NAFAK, with the approval of the members in a general meeting, in exercise of its power under section 10 (10) of the constitution of the NAFAK and other enabling powers in that behalf.
- Any member who wished to speak shall raise up his hand to attract the Chairman’s attention. Otherwise the absconding speaker will pay a fine of One Hundred Naira (#100)
- No member shall rise or commence to speak on any topic until recognized to do so by the Chairman. Interruption of speech during the meeting attracts a fine of fifty naira (#50)
- No two (2) members shall stand up to speak simultaneously during discussion at a meeting. Any member who walks out of the meeting without permission for whatever reason(s) shall be punished with a fine of two thousand naira (#2,000)
- The order of speaking shall be determined by the Chairman in his absolute discretion without fear or favour, but the Chairman shall give a reasonable opportunity for divergent views to be heard.
- The Chairman may use his discretion to stop a discussion even when there are members still anxious to speak on a subject, if he considers that there has been sufficient discussion on the matter under consideration
- A member who has any relevant and pertinent information to give during the courses of a speech by another may raise a “point of information”. He shall only give such information if permitted to do so by the Chairman.
- A member may raise a plea of “point of order” which when raise shall only be sustained by the Chairman where he accepts that there is deviation by a speaker from the subject matter
- A member who claims that he has been misquoted or misrepresented may raise the plea on “point of correction” and if allowed by the chairman, shall correct the same
- All the signatories must sign before any withdrawal shall be made
- The ruling of the Chairman on all matters shall be obeyed
- These standing Orders are deemed as coming into force the same time with The Constitution
MEMBERS OF THE CONSTITUTION DRAFTING COMMITTEE
- Byron Maduewesi - Chairman
- David A. Aboho - Secretary
- Prof. Gift Nwiyi - Member
- Princewill I Egwuasi - Member
- N. Nwalado - Member
Adopted on Thursday, the 15th day of March, 2018 and signed by: